VIVA! is a diverse and vibrant community of educators and singers dedicated to innovative choral music education and an excellent standard of performance. At the forefront of our organization is a commitment to equity, and we are proud to offer unique formal programs in Inclusion through our TD Inclusion Program, and Leadership and Mentoring of aspiring educators. Members of our administrative and educational team work closely together to support our singers, ages 4 through adults.
Founded in 2000, VIVA! Youth Singers has grown from two to six choirs at present. Recognized for beautiful singing and the opportunity for creation/composition opportunities, VIVA’s singers thrive by building a sense of community and friendship while fostering strong skills through individual vocal coaching, theory instruction, and touring opportunities.
VIVA! regularly commissions original Canadian works. Commissioned composers include James Rolfe, Juliet Palmer, Dean Burry, and Alice Ho.
As Vocal Development Coordinator you will
- be available Monday late afternoon/evenings, several Sundays per year and occasional weekdays
- be a collaborative member of our Artistic and Administrative team
- be dedicated to supporting a diverse range of singers
- be immersed in a world dedicated to singer empowerment and opportunities for emerging youth leadership
- engage with highly experienced and accomplished conductors and innovative educators
- teach and demonstrate healthy vocal production applied to diverse repertoire
- explore current vocal pedagogy research
- provide professional and pedagogical mentoring and workshop sessions to staff twice annually
- develop and maintain relationships with local organizations, institutions, and researchers in the fields of vocal pedagogy and health
The successful candidate will
- provide individual vocal coaching to members of our Junior Choir (ages 7-10) and our Main Chorus (9-16 years)
- provide individual vocal coaching to male and female changing voices of our Chamber and Community Choirs
- research the vocal pedagogy, and support the vocal health, of transgender singers
- research the vocal pedagogy, and support the vocal health, of aging singers
- share pedagogical research and provide leadership to schools and other organizations
- engage in support of transgender singers through outreach in schools
- provide education and professional development sessions for VIVA! staff twice annually
- coordinate weekly private voice lessons
- coordinate the final vocal recital for VIVA private voice students
The Vocal Development Coordinator (VDC):
- will be an accomplished singer with a graduate degree in vocal pedagogy or the equivalent
- has demonstrated proven excellence in private vocal instruction
- can relate to singers of all ages – the very young to the elderly – and with varying levels of experience
- thrives in a collaborative environment, and is keen to support the work of VIVA! conductors and guest artists
- is keen to promote the inclusive vision of the choir
- is immersed in current pedagogical research
- has experience and specialized knowledge of the boys’ and girls’ changing voices
- has interest in the emerging fields of research related to the voices of transgender singers and ageing populations
The VDC will possess superior organizational and communication skills, as they network with parents, colleagues, and singers of all ages.
VIVA! Youth Singers appreciates all applications, however only those who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.