As many of you may know by now through Facebook and Musical Toronto, Royal Conservatory of Music voice teacher and long time NATS member Donna Sherman passed away on Thursday, July 4, 2013 after a short battle with cancer.
Donna was a driving force in the world of voice teaching having taught many current professional singers and teachers. Colleagues and students at the Royal Conservatory of Music as well as those she has inspired will miss her.
Music Reviewer and Blogger John Terauds has written a brief but lovely article on Donna that you can find here. Included at the end of the article are many comments from the voice community.
I know that we will miss Donna’s presence in NATS and the broader world of voice teaching. May she rest in peace.
I have been asked to serve on the President’s National Strategic Planning Committee headed by Lloyd Mims. In preparation for our discussions it would be quite useful to me and to our organization if you would forward to me your thoughts and reflections about what our organization is doing well and what you think we can do better – what our goals are, or should be, from your perspective. Please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with your thoughts and comments.
Typical discussion points are:
- How can we ensure that our members are getting value from their membership?
- Should we be more overtly including voice training for children in our mandate?
- What sorts of professional development are most useful from the national level and from the regional level and from the chapter level?
- Should NATS be playing a more active role as an upholder of ethical and professional standards, and how would we do this?
I am sure that you will think of many more and I look forward to your help as we imagine how to make our organization and our profession even better.
Torin W. Chiles, NATS Ontario District Governor
Wanted: A soprano for a professional church choir.
St. George’s On The Hill Anglican Church (Dundas W. and Islington) needs another soprano. This is High Church worship with a very active choir contribution and lots of interesting repertoire. This is a paid position based on experience. Rehearsals are Thursday 7:15-9:00pm. Sunday rehearsal is 9:45am with the service from 10:30-12:00.
Please contact Karen Rymal ( organist, choir director) after Sept. 1 at 416-463-9284.
Singing in the Highlands with the Highland Opera Studio Community School created and established by Artistic Directors: Valerie Kuinka and Richard Margison
Featuring sessions with nationally recognized performer and voice instructor, Colleen Skull
- Special opportunity for participants to work with experts in vocal performance
- Featuring private lessons and masterclasses focusing on technical and stylistic aspects of voice performance of all genres
- Opportunities for participants to perform and classes, performances and rehearsals of the Highlands Opera Studio.
- The advanced studies provided at the HOS Community School will provide the skills necessary for participants to earn a place in the chorus and perform in a opera production as part of the Highland’s Opera Studio.
For more information please visit the Highland Opera School website, download a PDF of the brochure, or email Colleen Skull.