Early Bird Registration for the NATS Ontario 2021 Virtual Professional Development Day is now open. The PD day will be taking place on Saturday, May 1, 2021.
Teaching Singing to Children and Young Adults with Dr. Jenevora Williams
Dr. Jenevora Williams is a leading exponent in the field of vocal health and singing teaching. After a successful career in Opera, Jenevora turned her attention to investigating healthy and efficient vocal function. The combination of academic study and practical experience has resulted in a unique perception for understanding the human voice.
She was the first singing teacher to be awarded a PhD in voice science in the UK and won the 2010 BVA Van Lawrence Prize for her outstanding contribution to voice research. Her book, Teaching Singing to Children and Young Adults, has been enormously popular with singing teachers throughout the world.
She is well-known for her imaginative and rigorous training courses for singing teachers in the UK, the US and Europe. As a teacher of singing, she works with professional singers of all ages, as well as training teachers in rehabilitation for Vocal Health Education and British Association for Performing Arts Medicine.
For Dr. Williams’ full bio, please visit her website.
This presentation will be divided into four sessions:
Session 1: Children’s voices
- Examine how the vocal system develops and understand why the child voice is not just a smaller version of the adult voice.
- Consider several common issues with young singers: confidence in the upper register, pitch-matching, breathiness and what to do when they imitate an inappropriate role model.
Session 2: Adolescent voices
- Listen to recordings of young voices in various stages of voice change.
- Learning how to assess these and allocate appropriate repertoire.
Session 3: Masterclass
- Dr. Williams will work live online with three young singers.
Session 4: Q&A
This event will be hosted via ZOOM. You will be sent the meeting code after registration.
9:15: Waiting room opens
9:25: Admission begins
9:30-11:30: Keynote presentation
12:30-1:00: Q&A session
2:00-3:00: AGM (members only)
3:00-4:00: Break-out rooms/social hour
Fee Structure and Registration
EARLY BIRD registration ends April 15
- NATS Ontario members $45
- NATS members $55
- Non-members $65
- SNATS members $15
- Non-SNATS $20
After EARLY BIRD